Akshaya Tritiya or ‘Akha Teej’ is an important day in the Hindu and Jain calendar as it signals an auspicious beginning.
Akshaya Tritiya is considered as a very auspicious day to start a new commercial / business venture, new activity or a construction of a house / office as well as purchase of precious metals like gold. Charity done on this day is meant to bless the donor.
The day is celebrated annually (May 3rd 2022 this year) and legend has it that several important events are said to have taken place on this day as per ancient manuscripts and scriptures.
- In Jainism, it was on this day that Lord Rishabhdev broke his year long fast by drinking sugarcane juice.
- Sudama visited Lord Krishna on this day with a handful of rice.
- Muni Ved Vyas and Lord Ganesh started writing the ‘Mahabharat’ on this day.
- Lord Vishnu’s sixth incarnation, Parshurama, was born today.
- The holy river Ganga descended on earth on this day.
- This day marks the end of Satyug and the beginning of Tretayug period.
- The construction of the three huge wooden chariots for Lord Jagannath’s Rath Yatra at Puri, commences on this day.
- It was today in Mahabharata that Yudhishthira received the “Akshay Patra” to serve food to the needy in his kingdom.
- Today marks the birth anniversary of ‘Devi Annapoorna’, the Goddess of nourishment.
- Post the Winter season, the holy pilgrimage or the Chardham Yatra begins from today, with the re-opening of the gates ( Kapaat ) of the ancient Chardham holy shrines of Gangotri, Yamunotri, Badrinath and Kedarnath in the Himalayan mountain range.
Read the full story that first appeared in Seema Magazine here: