I first tried Som Tam salad on a visit to Thailand a few years ago. Intrigued by its flavours, I experimented an easy and simple version that uses ingredients that are mostly always available at home.
Here is the recipe.
- 200 grams grated raw papaya
- 100 grams grated carrot
- 8 to 10 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. Finely chopped garlic
- 25 grams peanuts de-skinned and split
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tsp palm sugar
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl mix the grated raw papaya and carrot. Add chopped coriander, salt and sugar and give a good mix.
- Heat the oil add chopped garlic and peanuts and sauté on low heat. After a minute add chilli flakes and switch off the flame.
- Toss into the salad and give it a good mix. Serve immediately.