Spread the love
I have always been fascinated with Focaccia breads that I have eaten many times largely at Italian restaurants as they are make for a pretty sight and also for being soft.
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary
- 10 Basil leaves
- 1 tbsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 large tomato
- 2 cubes cheese grated
- 2 sweet bell peppers
- 1 cup Olive oil
- Activate the yeast by adding honey and warm water – whisk and close the vessel for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the yeast is activated, add salt and flour and knead to a soft dough. You can add some olive oil and knead for 10 minutes until the dough becomes a soft non sticky ball. Cover the dish with a damp cloth and keep in a warm place for one hour.
- Heat oil and add chopped rosemary, basil leaves, chilli flakes and garlic and sauté. Allow the flavours of the herbs and garlic to soak in the oil.
- Chop tomato and sweet peppers – you can use bell peppers as well – this step is optional you can top the bread with flavours or toppings of your choice. Alternately you can simply top with olive oil and herbs.
- After one hour, the dough would have doubled in size. Now beat the dough lightly and add the cheese, tomatoes and peppers and mix, it will seem messy but don’t worry.
- Now oil the container in which you want to bake the bread. Spread the dough evenly out and make dimples in the dough and pour the marinated herb oil mix generously all over.
- Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rest for an hour. The dough would have doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees for 10 minutes and then bake the bread for 25-30 minutes at 200 degrees.
- You will see a brown crust on the top and you can remove immediately and cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting it.
Here are three images that show how the dough rises:
- This was my first attempt at making this bread and it came it out very soft and tasty.
- You can change salt levels to adjust to your taste. This bread was not very salty.
- You can also top your bread with olives.
- You can only use the oil for topping as well without adding vegetables.
- You can also wait for the dough to activate for more than an hour.