Green Beans have a surprising versatility and while you may use them commonly in rice, curries and salads, this chutney is a delightful way of using green beans.
- Green beans – 100 grams
- Freshly grated coconut – 50 grams
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1tbsp
- Coriander seeds (Dhania) – 1 tbsp
- Tamarind pulp – 1 tbsp
- Red chillies: 2-3
- Garlic: 4-5 cloves
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Asaefoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and allow to splutter. Add fenugreek, Urad dal, Coriander seeds, Red chillies, garlic and tamarind pulp.
- Add beans and fry on low heat. Can add a little water if you feel the mixture is dry.
- Cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Cool the mixture prepared above and grind with fresh coconut and salt.
- Heat 1 tsp oil, add asaefoetida and curry leaves and once it is hot, temper the chutney.
- Enjoy with rice, chappati or dosa – have fun experimenting.