The traditional round tomatoes which are not ripe (light green in colour) make for an interesting chutney that you can also use as a dip. This is my mother’s recipe that I am sharing here.
- Green unripe tomatoes – 2 medium size
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Green chillies – 1-2 (per your taste)
- Grated fresh coconut – 1 cup about 150 grams
- Ghee – 2 tbsp for frying
- Curry leaves (for tempering)
- Salt to taste
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add green chillies, salt and roughly chopped tomatoes and fry well.
- Allow it to cool and grind it together with freshly grated coconut to make a paste.
You can have this chutney with rice or chappati. It also works as a nice dip with multi grain sticks. So basically a great accompaniment to any meal.