June 12th is World Falafel Day and it is a great reason to celebrate this much loved versatile dish.
Falafel is a dish originating from the Middle East, particularly Egypt and Lebanon. It is made primarily from ground chickpeas or a combination of chickpeas and fava beans, mixed with fresh herbs and spices. The mixture is formed into small balls or patties and then deep-fried or baked until they have a crispy exterior and a soft, flavourful interior.
Here are some recipes that you can try:
- Egyptian Ta’amiya Falafel courtesy Vaibhav Kaushik, Senior Chef, Hotel The Royal Plaza, Connaught Place, New Delhi
- Classic Falafel Shawarma, courtesy Chef Nirvaan Thacker, Za’atar
- Falafel Shawarma Pocket courtesy Ajay Nayak, Corporate Chef, Bayroute
- High Protein Falafel Wrap courtesy Chandan Manroa, Head of Nutrition at Prolicious (Samyog Health Foods)
- Kabuli Chana Falafel Burger courtesy Divya Malhotra, co-founder Burger Rani
- Chickpea & Beetroot Falafel with Spicy Pineapple Salsa courtesy Anuj Mathur, Executive Sous Chef, Fairmont Jaipur
Read the full story that first appeared un Deccan Chronicle dated June 12, 2023 here: