August 22 is celebrated as World Plant Milk Day which is a clear sign of changing times as the world moves towards a healthier plant based lifestyle.
Shopping for milk involves making tough choices as the shelf now has many plant based milk alternatives. Almond and cashew milk is good for heart health, coconut milk is high in saturated fats, soy milk provides a high amount of protein and oat milk is a great source of dietary fibre.
There is a myth that protein is only found in dairy products, however the reality is that Soy milk, fortified flax milk, fortified oat milk, pea milk are the best to consume for maximum protein. Moreover, they are much better for the environment than animal-based milk as they use less water, less land, and emit less greenhouse gases.
Plant milk is gaining popularity among health conscious people, and people who are concerned about the environment and animals. Swapping your milk can bring many benefits to your health as well as to the world around you.
And if you are wondering how to use plant milk, here are some recipes that will inspire you to make the switch.
- Chocolate coconut chia pudding (gluten free /vegan) courtesy Tamara D’Souza, Co-founder, The Conscious Baker
- Almond Milk Kulfi Recipe courtesy Ashok Bandaru, Executive Chef, Shangri-La Bengaluru
- Vegan Rasogolla courtesy Sumit Kumar, Executive Chef, Park inn by Radisson
- Elaneer Payasam courtesy Mohd. Mushtaq, Executive Sous Chef, Taj Palace, New Delhi
- Makhana Phirni courtesy Akshraj Jodha, Executive Chef, ITC Grand Bharat, Gurugram
- Oat Milk Sabudana Kheer courtesy Love Mathur, Corporate Chef, HRH Group of Hotels
- Soy Avocado Mousse courtesy Sumit Sabharwal, Executive Sous Chef, Crowne Plaza Greater Noida
- Almond milk, sweet potato, and sago payasam courtesy Ashutosh Nerlekar, Executive Chef, THE Park Chennai
- Peanut Butter and Honey Oat Smoothie courtesy Nitin Mathur, Executive Chef, Taj Bengal, Kolkata
Read the full story that first appeared in Deccan Chronicle dated August 22, 2022 here: