A versatile ingredient, also known as butter fruit, avocado is a fantastic fruit that has rare, good fats that make it a powerhouse of goodness.
The avocado is a fruit that is known for its health benefits. These benefits come from the compounds present in the lipidic fraction, including omega fatty acids, phytosterols, tocopherols, and squalene, Bioactive compounds like phytosterols can lead to the reduction of overall cholesterol and LDL cholesterol.
It is a reserve of potassium (339 mg / 100 g) which helps in regulating muscle activity and protects our body from cardiovascular diseases. It is also a source of antioxidant glutathione that acts on carcinogenic compounds.
Avocados also provide nutrients like vitamin C, B6, and E, that are also known to boost immunity. Half an avocado provides 30% of our daily needs for B6, which helps in suppressing inflammation and protects against oxidative damage. Here are some recipes that show how this versatile dish can be used.
- Chia & Avocado Yoghurt Bowl (courtesy Rameshwar Mohanty, Executive Chef, ITC Welcom Hotel Guntur)
- Venna Pandu Roti Pachadi or Avocado Pachadi/Chutney (courtesy Julius Uttom Biswas, Executive Chef, RVR Sarovar Portico Dindi)
- Avocado Shrimp Toast (courtesy Aditi Handa, Co-Founder and Head Chef at The Baker’s Dozen)
- Avocado Mousse (courtesy Md Feroz, Executive Chef, LMNO_Q)
- Guacamole Dip (courtesy Maseera Fatima, Food Blogger, Hyderabad)
Read the full story that first appeared in Deccan Chronicle dated Feb 28, 2022 here: