This is the season when local apples from Shimla make an appearance in local markets and being a fruit that is packed with health benefits, it is but natural that apples must be a part of your seasonal diet. After toying with the idea of an apple cake I decided to make one finally. This one uses whole wheat, jaggery and olive oil – which explains my headline. It is a soft, moist cake and I recommend you try it too. Here are the ingredients and a stepwise pictorial recipe.
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Jaggery powder – 1 cup
- Extra virgin olive oil ¾ cup
- Whey 1.5 cups
- Hung curds 1 cup
- Milk ½ cup
- Cinnamon powder 1 tsp
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Baking soda 1 tsp
- Apples – 4 medium
- Honey – 3tbsp
- Lemon juice of 1 lemon
- Almonds – 2 tbsp
- Walnut 2 tbsp
In a bowl add two cups of whole wheat flour.
Now add a cup of jaggery powder and mix well.
Add extra virgin olive oil and give the mixture a nice whisk.
Take four apples, chop them roughly and puree with skin in a blender till you get a smooth consistency.
Add the same to the flour mixture and whisk.
Add cinnamon powder.
Add whey and whisk.
Add hung curds and whisk.
Add milk (you can omit this if the mix has a runny consistency).
Add honey and give a mix.
Add lemon juice and chopped walnuts.
Add baking powder and baking soda in the end and give the batter a final mix.
Sprinkle chopped almonds on top.
Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 190 degrees and bake the cake for about 50 minutes at 190 degrees or till a fork comes out clean.
You can leave the cake in the oven for 5 minutes before you remove it. Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then slice and enjoy.
- My cup holds 250 ml. You can use any cup you have – just make sure you use the same cup for measuring all the ingredients.
- You can use any cooking oil if you do not use olive oil at home.
- You can replace the whole wheat with all-purpose flour by half.
- If you prefer to use eggs, you can omit hung curds.
- If you do not have hung curds and whey, use regular curds and butter milk.
- An easy way to make hung curds is to sieve curds overnight. The top is the hung curds and the bottom liquid is the whey.
- Use the apples with their skin. If there is wax, please peel the skin.
- The cake may appear moist initially but will settle in after it cools.
- I tried to first bake for 35 minutes but the cake was not ready, so I baked for another 15 minutes.
- Allow the cake to rest for at least 5 minutes and upto 15 minutes in the oven.